Tuesday 2 July 2013

Blue Hexies Update

Almost there! I have 800 basted hexagons. Only 72 more before I start the whipstitching. I'm glad that I'll soon be sewing these together. There are really only so many ways to photograph a bunch of hexies.

 
 

I'm loving all of your comments! This blog was inspired by Jessica's Life Under Quilts blog, where she has provided us with a space to share links to our EPP projects every week.

Why am I basting so many hexies and not starting to sew them together? Believe me it is driving me NUTS to wait. I want to start sewing this into a top.  I'm waiting because I've been adding new fabrics as I baste, and I want to distribute them somewhat evenly throughout the quilt. I've also been spreading them out periodically to make sure I have a good mix of light and dark fabrics.

Jessica is also the author of Quilting on the Go. I love this book's emphasis on techniques. There are plenty of tips and great colour photos for every aspect of making a quilt with English Paper Piecing. I will be rereading the section on whipstitching...very soon, I hope.

2 comments:

  1. I am having the exact same battle- waiting to get them done so I can sew them together! (Only I have a lot farther to go.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, these look great. Thanks for starting your blog. I'm sure you'll have lots of great things to show us as time goes on, and it's also a great place to be able to come and look back on your own work after a couple years (I have an easier time remembering what I've made when/for who when I go back and re-read my blog!).
    Don't wait for the last 72.. just start piecing. You don't have to join all the units together yet (i.e. if you are making flowers, rows or groups), so there's still time to add in whatever new fabrics come along later.
    Thanks for linking up this week~

    ReplyDelete