Monday 15 July 2013

Batik Flowers are Blooming

I've completed nine "flowers" for my Batik Mosaic quilt. I'm linking back to  Jessica's Life Under Quilts blog every week to help keep me motivated to work on this quilt a little every day. The process of sewing these hexies together is going to take months! Have a look at Jessica's Monday blog posts and check out the other bloggers who are English Paper Piecing lovely quilts, too!



 
 

I should have started sewing these together before basting most of them. I can't do a lot of whipstitching at night because we don't have the best light in the TV room where DH and I spend our time in the evening. It's quite enough light for basting, but I don't know whether I'll need to baste any more for this quilt. So for now I am whipstitching hexies together in the afternoons. I may have to bring in another floor lamp and see if that brightens things up for evening sewing! We'll see. I may have to start basting for another quilt to make more efficient use of my sewing time :-)

6 comments:

  1. I find that I baste a few, then sew a few,and repeat often! Your flowers look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blues look great!! And I'm really curious what it will look next week, so keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super progress! I LOVE all those shades of blue ... especially since blue is my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love your blue hexie flowers !!!!
    Grit from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful blue hexies, really. Even when I don't do the complex "you have to design beforehand" quilts like the one I'm doing right now, I usually baste only the next piece I need and then go on whipstitching. I cut up the fabric, but don't baste.
    One exception, though, when doing clamshells or applecores I do baste beforehand, since they work up different.

    ReplyDelete